Saturday, December 5, 2015

Tis the Season - A Donation Quilt

Mr. Redbird and Berries has gone mini!
Really Mini
A wee 11" x 13"
Isn't he sweet?
 He was created for the O Tannenbaum fundraising event at our local Historical Society...
with a little Moda Muslin for the background and backing fabric...
using Aurifil 12Wt cotton thread to hand stitch the wool applique... 
AND a bit of Aurifil 50Wt thread for fun free motion quilting
on a domestic machine...
It was the perfect opportunity to re-use the
flanged and mitered machine binding technique
(See the tutorial here)
using this beautiful fabric by Primitive Gatherings for Moda -- LOVE!
And yes, on that binding I used yummy Aurifil 12Wt thread for finishing with a machine.
Oh! I love that little extra touch :)
I was sure to use 2 layers of Quilter's Dream 100% Wool batting -- it provides lovely texture!
Last I checked the silent bid was up to $75 - not a bad price for a mini quilt
Bidding is open for another week though -- you never know what it will go for.
The donation quilt is considerably smaller
 than the original Redbird and Berries
created for the Moda Bake Shop.
Click here for the original tutorial and download.
Making little pieces like this are fun and rewarding...
especially for a great cause.
Sister snapped a picture of me at the O Tannenbaum event... 
I thought it would be fun to share! 
*
If you've not tried wool applique and would like to learn more...
Click here and follow the links for some introductory posts.

Have a blessed weekend...
Hugs,
Karen

Social Media Details....
You can write me anytime:  
karen@redbirdquiltco.com or 
redbirdquiltco@gmail.com

*** Follow Me ***

Did you know you can visit me on
and/or
I post all sorts of fun things there!!
**
If you love to Free Motion Quilt consider joining my 
Facebook Community Group
*
Plus
I share quilting related
videos on my YouTube Channel
*
I'll soon be sharing live feed TV on my Periscope
*
I'm also on Pinterest and Twitter 
and I share other tutorials and patterns on
My Tutorials on my blog

Thanks again for stopping by...

14 comments:

  1. That's such an amazing mini quilt! so cute and so well done.
    Greetings from Germany, Rike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!!! And the bid looks good! Next size down????? Guess you're aiming for postage stamp!! That little gem will be treasured by whomever takes it home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just fabulous.....so love that extra touch of red in the binding. Hope it brings in lots of $$.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's awfully cute in all his mini-ness! What a clever idea! I hope a few more people bid on it to bring that price up for such a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's gorgeous! Hope more people bid cause he's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful as a mini too! You're so generous, Karen. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved this red bird quilt my father is losing his site but he was able to see the redbird because of the colors i wish i could post a picture of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia -- do whatever you need to do so your father can see the Redbird -- share away. I'm sorry, your email came across as No Reply so I'm not sure you'll see this response... Thanks for the sweet comment. Karen

      Delete
  8. Your Mr. Redbird is super handsome! Very nice project, really unusual pattern as for quilt.

    ReplyDelete