Sunday, March 16, 2014

Printed Quilt Label Tutorial *Updated

Greetings !  I've a new tutorial to share with you on this National/Worldwide Quilt Weekend....
But first....
  Many thanks to the gracious ladies of the New Quilters on the Block Guild in Candor, NY for hosting my "Show and Tell" this weekend!    This lovely and talented group of women meet twice a month to share their love of sewing with one another.  They have semi-annual retreats, regular classes, and you can tell they all love to sew.  Lots of smiles, yummy snacks, and plenty of eye candy at this very relaxed meeting.  It was a special time -- Thank you ladies for inviting me to share my love of quilting with you!  I had a fantastic time.


Inquiring minds want to know...  Do you struggle with getting labels on your newly completed quilts?   I sure do... I write one by hand, grumble because my handwriting is sloppy and/or the pen ink smeared, my lines weren't straight, there wasn't enough room for all the details... YOU name it and I have an excuse for the delay of the label.

So a few months ago I decided "No more excuses" for not labeling a quilt. A computer generated label allows me to get the job done quickly and easily (and it looks neat and tidy). 

Here are the steps:
  • Design a label on a computer program that you are familiar with.  I use MS Office "Word" to prepare my labels.  In the example below I prepared 3 labels for a single run.
  • Use an 8.5" x 11" sheet of freezer paper (if you don't have a sheet cut an 8.5 x 11 sheet from freezer paper in your kitchen drawer).
  • Use a 5" x 11" piece of muslin (or whatever width works for your specific label).
  • Place the muslin on your ironing board (if there is a right and a wrong side to your fabric, place the right side down).
  • Place the shiny side of the freezer paper squarely on top of the muslin (on the wrong side of the muslin).
  • Using a DRY iron, press the freezer paper to the muslin -- the shiny side of the freezer paper will stick to the muslin (and slightly to your ironing board too -- don't worry it peels right off).
  • Now, place the prepared freezer paper/muslin combo in your INK JET printer and Print the label as you would print it on a piece of paper.  Be sure to run it through the printer so the muslin side is printed.   I normally run a plain piece of paper through first, to be sure that the positioning will work on the muslin run.
  • Once you run the freezer paper/muslin through the printer let it sit for a couple of minutes while the ink dries.   
  • Once the ink is dry, peel the muslin from the freezer paper.  
  • (Be sure to save the freezer paper for another set of labels (it is re-usable)).
  • Now, to set the ink, use a steam iron and press the printed muslin label(s).
*** Note:  If you are going to be applying this label to an everyday quilt (one that will be washed and dried often), I would recommend these extra steps to set the ink even more... ;)
  • Soak the printed muslin in a bath of White Vinegar.   Give it 5 - 10 minutes in a shallow layer of vinegar - laying flat in a baking dish
  • Remove the printed muslin and rinse in cold water (this removes the vinegar and its smell)
  • Allow it to dry 
    • Allow to dry flat - OR - 
    • Throw it in a hot clothes dryer - OR - 
    • Dry with a hair dryer - OR - 
    • Press with a DRY iron.
  •  OK -- now you're ready to square up your labels.  Leave 1/2 inch or more of "white" space around the entire perimeter of the label.
  •  Next turn appx 1/2 inch of all 4 corners toward the center of the label and press with steam
  • Once all 4 corners are turned, pick two opposing sides and fold them toward the center so the raw edge is flush with the edge of the turned corner (see next two pictures).
  •  Don't steam your fingers ;)
  • Now flip the label, pin it to the back of your quilt, and stitch in place with your favorite Aurifil thread.   
  • I find that Aurifil Mako 50Wt Cotton thread in color #2000 works perfectly with muslin fabric -- and, as you know, it glides through your needle and fabric with ease!  Love that thread.
Many of you know that I try to avoid glue and glue based products, so, although you can fuse or glue this down... I jut pin it and stitch it ;)


Well that's all for tonight - lots of other fun stuff to share with you soon -- I always appreciate your feedback and thoughtful comments.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Happy Sunday!

Hugs,
Karen


42 comments:

  1. Fabulous tutorial Karen. Thank you. I shall have to try it soon, as I have a number of quilts to label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dasha... be sure to read the updated post, if you're going to apply the label to an everyday quilt you may want to set the ink by using a vinegar bath. I would love to see any labels you make -- have fun with it! Karen

      Delete
  2. Nice tutorial, great photos and explanation! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Shawn - please note that I did update the tutorial for those that will be applying the labels to everyday quilts... Update is embedded. Take care and I hope things look up soon with your mom. Hugs, Karen

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this tutorial... I really needed it... :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathi -- thanks for stopping by -- isn't it funny how we always put this step off till "forever"... ha ha ha. Be sure to re-read the post as I've updated it with an extra step for those that will be washing their quilts often. Love to see any labels that you apply ;) Take care, Karen

      Delete
  4. Terrific tutorial - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate -- I'm glad you stopped by. Be sure to read the updated tutorial if you're applying a label to a quilt that will be washed regularly... Take care now, Karen

      Delete
  5. This is awesome!!! Thanks for your tutorial.... Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Michele and be sure to note that I've updated the tutorial for those who wash and dry their quilts regularly -- a couple extra steps but well worth preserving that ink. Appreciate your comments. Take care -- Karen

      Delete
  6. Karen thanks for the great tutorial. You always explain steps so clearly. Is there a way to print this to save for future reference. Thanks for sharing your many talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda -- thanks for the great feedback and be sure to read the updated blog post specific to setting the ink for Everyday Quilts ;) I'm showing you as a no-reply blogger so I'm not sure if you'll get this message or not. If you go to http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/ you can enter in my blog URL (for this post) and it will convert it to PDF for you... then you can save it off to your computer. You could also just bookmark the page for future use. Love to see any labels you make and apply !! Take care now. Karen

      Delete
  7. Excellent t tutorial! Every step is explained so well and accompanying photos are great. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan -- I really appreciate your feedback -- thank you! One thing, I did just update the tutorial to include an extra step if the label you're making will be washed frequently... be sure to re-read for those extra steps. Love to see anything you make and apply... take care now, Karen

      Delete
  8. Interesting, as I have tried this and the ink washes out fairly quickly. Any suggestions about that? What have you tried as far as washing?

    PS, I label every quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment Lori -- and based on it I've updated the tutorial a bit. If you're going to use the label for an everyday quilt I would suggest that you soak your printed label in a bath of vinegar for 5-10 minutes, rinse in cold water, and then heat dry. This works well to really set the ink in for everyday use. Awesome feedback - thank you!

      Delete
  9. This is a great tute and you label looks lovely. Is it fully machine washable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping Janine -- and a great question. If you're going to wash and dry the label frequently I would suggest that you soak the printed dry label in a bath of vinegar for 5-10 minutes and then dry with hot air. I've updated the tutorial with this information. I wish I had something to share at your Wool on Sundays... maybe next week. Take care and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You're very welcome Kathy -- and please note that I updated the tutorial with an additional step for those that use the label on Everyday Quilts. Glad you stopped by. Karen

      Delete
  11. Another great tutorial Karen! I really need to do this!! I have so many quilts "out there" that have nothing on them. It really is important to record the work we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy you are so very welcome -- be sure to re-read the updated post as I added steps to "extra set" that ink for labels that will be washed and used a lot. I'm anxious to see what labels you create -- please keep me posted. It's really important to label everything you make, quilts, table runners, whatever -- history is important... Oh how I yearn to have a quilt that had any of my ancestors' stamp on it... How neat would that be !! Take care now, Karen

      Delete
  12. Great tutorial Karen. Is your pattern for Spring Basket available? I love the shape of the bird, and the branch reminds me of pussy willows. It is a charming block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda - thank you for your sweet comment and interest in the pattern. Actually my plan is to publish this pattern for PDF download on Craftsy but it will take me a few days to get it ready. I'm so excited that you're interested. If you're in New York State I am also going to teach this project a quilt shop in Ithaca, NY soon. I'll plan to send you a message when it is ready. Thanks again for kind words. Karen

      Delete
  13. Are you starting to feel like a broken record? I've also heard you can iron it for 15 minutes1 LOL
    I haven't' tried either way, but now I will. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much!!! Excellent tute!!!!! I feel the same way and have just started doing the 'puter labels. Really does give you the ability to clearly record the necessary info. I just heat set with a hot (cotton setting) iron and have had good results. Hugs.................

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial and your label looks fabulous.Sure I`ll try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a method that I use as well; however, I put a narrow border (calico) around it to set it off Sometime using a fabric that is in the quilt or just something that coordinates.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tutorial on this great quilt label. Good to know about the vinegar bath also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really great Karen - I just need to check what type of printer I have and then I'll be onto it!! Your blog is so inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really really lovely! I will be using this tutorial and instructions for my next Aussie Hero quilt. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! The first thing I thought when I saw the first picture of your post is "That's a beautiful label!" (Actually, I thought it in French: Quelle belle étiquette!) Then I saw that the tutorial was about making such a label. Perfect! I have been wondering myself how I could do a more professional-looking label. But I have a question: do we have to use muslin? Is there other kinds of fabric that we can use? Thank you very much, Karen. I'm so glad you posted this tutorial.
    P.S.: I posted the top of my Redbird and Berries Mini Quilt this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your tutorial that I now have saved! Very good instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful tutorial Karen! Quilt labels should always be a must but I have to admit I have had the same struggles you wrote about. Your instructions are clear and easy to follow. I am excited to give it a try. Thanks for sharing! ~Shari

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just have to repeat all the previous comments.....thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial..I love all the detail that you have given for making labels and I'm always looking for an easy way to do it...thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I use this method with a laser jet printer?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can you help me with this page? I can't seem to figure out how to attach my picture and get it to post. Geez! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen - I don't think we can upload it to blogger via comments. However, I would love to upload your picture to my Pinterest page for others to see it... Can you email it to me ? Send it to redbirdquiltco at gmail dot com ok ? Thanks so much!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the great tutorial. One other suggestion is to insert an extra piece of muslin between the label and the quilt (especially if the quilt backing is a patterned or dark fabric)to make the label more opaque.

      Delete
  26. I tried this with a color picture, with the vinegar bath as well, but as soon as I dipped it in the vinegar bath the color came right out. Any hints on color pictures?

    ReplyDelete

  27. Nice Blog, thanks for sharing this Information. Also you can check the more about Print Labels in our website.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Do you have to treat the fabric before you print on it. Is it just regular plain cotton fabric

    ReplyDelete