Saturday, February 4, 2012

It's Hard to Say Goodbye

To an old friend who showed you the ropes, sloshed you through the mud, muck, fields, ponds and pathways.
Chief :  197? - Jan 16, 2012
My first horse 30 years ago, that came from out west, with no papers and no name, already knowing how to pull a cart and a sleigh, not worried about getting his feet dirty or being brushed every day - willing to show this green rider how to get by with her first pony. (Thank you Dad).

How lucky am I to have experienced the love, the strength, and the guidance of a horse friend.

I'm going to miss you 'ole man (I really do).  Life is not the same with you gone and not a morning or an evening goes by that I don't want to go out to the barn and see you, feed you, give you cookies and enjoy your stubborn ways.  



Together again with your partner in crime Smokin' Nuisance (left) 


With tears in my eyes and a broken heart - Rest in Peace old man.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, I'm crying with you from reading your post. Loving a horse is loving a family member. May time heal your pain but never take away the memories. I wish I could give you a big hug right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears...our animal friends are family.. Had my Pet's 'Dandy' D...his registered name. Quarter/Morgan. Came to me at 12 years old when i was only 13. Good friend, buddy, confidant. Your post took me back. Thanks for sharing this Karen.

    ReplyDelete