It's been on my list for the last few summers.... replacing the black, floral, hand-me-down, store-bought quilt at the lake with something that "Gramma Made". So when our little slumber pack is resting by the water... they're on a "hand made" quilt and I have a better background for pictures! I wanted to use materials from items that we've given to the kids and have a beautiful scrappy applique quilt - with texture and familiar things (for the little ones).... and made with love !
I'm on a roll.
I'm using several "New to Me" techniques on this large quilt - which means lots of Lessons Learned !
|Heat-n-Bond Fusible Interfacing "Lite" - Draw shape onto either side of product, place over fabric with "dots" to right side of fabric|
So far, I am very pleased with this product - only one side is fusible -it's very "lite" so you don't have that flat feeling after you've ironed it.
|Stitch 1/4 inch allowance - Clip Corners/Curves - Slit Interfacing|
|Turn right side out - Now the dots are ready to be ironed and stitched down|
Lesson Learned -- instead of doing the Trapunto on the back of the background fabric, integrate it into your initial sewing of the shape. Fabric and interfacing right sides together, and a layer of batting behind them. Might be easier ?
|Click the pic to see the invisible zig-zag and machine blanket stitch - you can also see the stitch in the ditch around both|
Lesson Learned -- I did the blanket stitch AFTER the star was stitched -- feed dogs caught on the invisible thread and broke it... not good... be careful to not make this mistake!!
Each DGC gets their own "Star" and initials... two kids on each quadrant - - sew much fun!
|I stitched in the ditch on each applique and then stitched at least one row of echo.|
Emily's flannel snoopy pillow case scraps -- and throw pillow fabric for the Caleb and Benjamin
|Quilting on my DSM has been a Joy - well sorta...|
Lesson Learned - don't layer 100% poly med loft with 1 layer of 100% Cotton Warm and Natural -- way too hard to quilt...but.... it will be the standard until I finish 3 more quadrants : )
|I'm making 4 quadrants, quilting each (on my DSM) as I go and I will use Leah's great tutorial to piece them together!|
Lesson Learned - Top Thread Breaks - (Using Signature 100 Cotton) - I put my spool in the freezer overnight and the next time I quilted I had LESS Breaks !! YAY !
I'm nearly done with this quadrant -- lets see - only 20 days to finish 3 more and stitch them together... It might be a two quadrant quilt for this Memorial Day.
I hope you enjoyed this "Lessons Learned" session - more to come !
Have a wonderful day -- hugs -- Karen