Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hexie Love - Not your Grammas Flower Garden

It's more like a Cottage Garden....
Hello fellow quilters!!  How are things with you?  I hope this post finds you well.

I've had a whirlwind month since I last wrote....

I attended International Quilt Market in Minneapolis (over the top exciting - more on it later)... Do you LOVE my Redbird Wool Applique Shirt?
Took two days of training from the most awesome professional long arm quilter, Karen McTavish, (my quilting life will never be the same) - (more later here too!!)
And, with my sisters Janet and Michele, poured tons of love and attention into a neat modern hexie quilt for our beautiful niece Alexis and her lovely partner Laura -- we called it "Hexie Love".
Today I want to share a bit of the quilt prep process and lots about the quilting including bunches of images.

First I want to thank Aurifil thread (once again) for making the best cotton quilting thread East of the Mississippi!!  I chose my thread, the 40Wt and 50Wt Aurifil Mako Cotton thread, long before I knew what or how I was going to quilt Hexie Love.

I started the quilting on my Janome domestic machine (7700), then moved to a Janome sit down mid-arm (Artistic) and then to a Gammill Statler Long Arm (thanks to a good friend) and back to my domestic machine.

The Aurifil Mako Cotton thread worked perfect on all 3 machines:  domestic to mid arm to long arm...  I was thrilled about that because I sure didn't want to change thread brands, color, or weight as I moved from one machine to another.  Thank you Aurifil!
A little bit of background.... The Sisters Three (Janet, Michele and I) decided to make Alexis (our niece) a quilt for her upcoming Bridal Shower.  We asked for input from the brides (Alexis is marrying her partner Laura - they are so in love and beautiful together)...    The brides said they liked jewel tones, geometrical designs and nothing traditional.   That is what we had to start with....

From there we collected jewel tone fabric - we found the best collection of Free Spirit fabric on Sale at one of my LQShops (O'Susannah's Quilt Shop)...  We were inspired by a quilt I saw on Instagram (thank you @darlingdi for your Modern Hexie Star Quilt and Tutorial)

and started the process of preparing hexies (NOT the old fashioned way).

We prepared hexies using a heat resistant Mylar template (made from scratch), starch, and a steam  iron.  There was NO SEWING involved (just lots of toasty fingertips). 

We decided on 2" hexies, we cut the fabric at least 1/2" larger than the hexie size and starched and steamed around our heat resistant templates until we had 200+  2" hexies prepared.  (Would a tutorial be helpful here ?)

Now we needed background and backing fabric.  I had my heart set on a Moda Grunge but when we visited another LQS (Sew It Is) we found the ideal fabric color by Elisabeth Studios named: Impressions Mottled Peacock Turquoise.  It was the perfect compliment to the Free Spirit hexie collection we had prepared!

Now the design/layout - this was, well, a matter of hands and knees on the floor -- here's two of "The Sisters Three" (they will kill me - no makeup, no hair)... working hard at the design layout while I prepared a few more hexies (and took pictures).
Once they finished the layout, we took MANY, MANY pictures of it, gathered up (in an orderly fashion) the hexies for 17 rows and placed them in baggies numbered appropriately by row.  You see, I was leaving for Quilt Market the next day -- so there was no time to get the hexies tacked down before I left.

When I returned from Market, it was my task to layout hexies (based on the pictures and earlier design), tack each hexie with glue (sister Janet came and helped), layer and pin baste, oh, and Quilt!! (Let's not forget my favorite part).
A couple of tips:

1. When preparing the hexies, be sure your template is exact!!   If you're using 2" hexies make sure each side of the template is exactly 2" - it's important !!  (Ask me how I know).
2. Before positioning the hexies on the background, make reference lines on your background fabric.   We eyeballed the positioning a lot -- but in hindsight, additional cross hatch reference lines are the best choice.  Did we have Wonky straight lines?  No, not this quilt...  ;)
3. When using water soluble glue to tack the hexie tips down, use the glue sparingly, make sure it is near the tip (not inland) of the hexie and kinda smudge it across the area (not too thick - did I already say that ?)

4. When pin basting, put a pin in each hexie and in each spot where a hexie would go - even if there isn't one there.

This was our final layout with the hexies glue basted in place, and the quilt sandwich pin basted with 1 layer of Quilter's Dream Wool and backing fabric that matched the background fabric.  It measures appx 70" by 80".

Notice the arrows on the quilt top (below) - this is where we added hexies at the very last minute  to identify a defined edge for the border quilting.
OK - next item is to get the straight line quilting done on the hexie rows.

This is where the Janome Horizon and its awesome walking foot get to work....

I used 40Wt Aurifil Mako Cotton in the top thread and the same color 50Wt in the bobbin.  I used a size 90 needle (Superior Titanium TopStitch) and had my stitching gloves on hand at all times.  It worked well to use the gloves to manage the quilt.  
 I stitched 3 lines through each hexie - stitching long rows as best you can so you don't have to turn until you've finished a row.  Good lighting is essential and target straight rows and stitches.  Mine were not perfect but they worked out fine (thank you Di - you said they would).  

I used a longer than normal stitch length, setting the Janome at 2.7 while quilting the hexies with the walking foot.  
 The hexie quilting took several nights that added up to about ? 20 + hours - with no quilting in the negative space (except a 1/4" echo around each hexie).    On a long arm, with a straight-line ruler or template, this process would go SO MUCH FASTER -- really!!   But hey - you use the tools available to get the job done.
 Here is an image with the hexie quilting completed.  Again, it was a good 20+ hours of walking foot work.
OK - now on to some free motion quilting.  I really wanted to try the Janome Artistic 18" sit down machine at a LQS where I bought my Janome Horizon (Patchwork Angels Quilt Shop).  I went in for a couple of hours and practiced and went back the next day to quilt Hexie Love.

Let me tell you, I grossly underestimated how much time it was going to take me to quilt this monster -- and was frustrated that I hadn't practiced more on this "new to me" machine. 

The machine itself was awesome - so much throat space, good controls, etc -- but I couldn't seem to "master" it in the time I had available to get the job done.  I was frustrated with my stitch length, my tension and my overall comfort level on the machine.  I just plain needed more time to practice.  Sister Shell was with me during this part - providing support yet watching my frustration grow because I really wanted to finish this quilt in a day!!   (ha ha ha - silly me)....

Once my inexperience on the Artistic got the best of me, off I went with my tail between my legs.  I called a good friend who was holding some fabric for me and she says "Hey, why don't we throw it on my long arm".

 Thinking it through, I knew we could at least get the border treatment done, I had planned to do piano keys with a ruler on the Artistic.  So I took her up on the offer (thank God for friends with bigger machines than mine).  When I arrived we worked on a practice piece and I realized that my FMQ Orange Peel/Watermelon Seed designs were not going to happen on a long arm without a little more practice -  but I decided to quilt as much as I could and do the FMQ work at home. 

One of the prerequisites before throwing it on the long arm was to have an idea of what I wanted to quilt -- well now that's a challenge -- as I never know what I'm going to quilt until I sit down to do it.

   So as I was leaving my friends house that night, we saw the solar lights casting this design on the sidewalk.  WOW!  We both took it as a sign that the border should look something like this.  Yippee -- One design down -- now to think overnight about how to quilt the rest of the quilt before throwing it on the long arm.

After a few hours sleep I got up and started fussing with designs on the quilt using a purple air soluble pen. I scratched out some divider lines in the negative space, decided I could do the orange peel in the remaining negative space (on my Janome at home) and set out to get the border treatment done while the quilt was loaded (pins and all) on the long arm.
 As I mentioned earlier, the Aurifil 40Wt top and 50Wt bobbin thread worked perfectly on the long arm after we aligned the new needle in the Gammill.
 Because there was no tabletop available for this machine, I could NOT use rulers to do my straight line borders.   It's a good thing this machine has programmable features and that my friend is a good teacher.  She showed me how to program point to point stitching using the Statler software and off I went, programming the pretty light ray stitches along all 4 borders of the quilt.  I LOVE the way it came out.
Including a lunch break,  I think we spent about 9+ hours actually quilting the border with the point to point feature of the long arm.   Fun Fun!!!   Man those machines and their software are powerful.  I might be able to do it faster with a ruler and a stitch regulator... but for now, I was very thankful that my friend offered her time and machine to me.   I can't thank her enough...
She says "That's what friends are for"
Hugs to you girlfriend.

I took the quilt off the frame, thanked my friend for getting me out of the jam, bought her and the doggies ice cream at the local dairy bar, and headed back to the lake with a quilt that needed the center negative space quilted.

Next morning I'm back to "How to quilt that" and preparing to finish it up on my Janome Horizon.  The hexies are done, the border is done - lets get some orange peel and straight lines and maybe a ? touch of feathers ? in there.  

Now my husband is keeping my head above water.  The deadline on this quilt was quickly approaching and I needed to get it to my sister Janet for the binding and label -- being under pressure with a deadline and no plan is NEVER a good way to manage a project.  Just sayin'!

Back on the Janome Horizon I used the same thread combination as before -- LOVE!
I started the day attacking the smaller areas and putting some orange peel designs in them.  This helped because I felt like I was making progress and didn't have to face the areas I was unsure how to quilt.
I made some reference marks with a purple air erasable pen and did continuous curve stitching like I shared in my Orange Peel Grid Tutorial -- except I didn't stitch the grid, I just marked it.
More orange peel / continuous curve stitching inside of areas I had straight line quilted while Hexie Love was on the long arm machine.
More shots of the smaller areas.
Just keep stitching....
Just one more picture of the smaller areas.
OK - now I've filled up most of the smaller spots with variations of the Orange Peel / Seed design and I'm hitting up against the center of the quilt that is a larger space.  I decide to do more straight line stitching to give it a bit more of a modern look.  
I used a straight line ruler and my FMQ foot and stitched several lines toward the center of the space, echoing (in a random kinda way) the lines that had been stitched with the long arm. 

OH NO!
I ended up with waffles galore on the quilt top in that section (circle below).
Waffles that were almost folds and puckers.
OH NO!!
This was not what I had in mind.

So as I sit with my head in my hands, almost crying, my husband comes over and we dissect the problem... with all of the pushing and pulling of the quilt top (from the start) and the large space yet-to-be-quilted in the middle, I've stretched the fabric top.  The backing seemed fine -- but the top was a mess.  

Out comes the seam ripper and I spend an hour ripping out straight lines...
what to do...
Then I thought about the blocking process used to square a quilt, and wondered if wetting the trouble section of the quilt top and drying it would shrink the fabric.
Let's give it a try (at least I had a plan).
 I positioned the quilt on the table top such that it wasn't stressed or being pulled.  Grabbed the trusty spray bottle (that I use for Cayman's baths), filled with fresh water and sprayed the trouble areas.  I added an hour of blow-drying with a hair dryer and thank goodness it worked.  It shrunk the fabric enough that I could confidently quilt a design that wouldn't pucker.   
 I decided against putting straight lines in that same area and went with a larger scale Orange Peel design -- it was just the trick - the area quilted beautifully.  This is how that TROUBLE area quilted with a large orange peel design.  Whew...  disaster averted ;)
 Now I continue in the "Just Keep Stitching" mode -- almost done with all of the quilting and really wishing I had a spot to add some feathers...   I just had to do it!
After all the stitching I'd done - I was happy to add in some feathers - it felt natural.
Yippee -- I never thought I would hear myself say that feathers felt "natural".  Makes me happy.

As it went - I had a few more small areas to fill in.  It felt so good to get them done.
Here are a few shots with the quilting complete.

 Here are a few pictures of the back
 This one was funny -- my poor husband was trying to hold the quilt up for me in a windstorm. He is such a trooper -- thank you, honey.
  As soon as I finished the quilting it was delivered to my sister so she could begin the binding and label process.   
 She is a master at getting these things done quickly, and I just LOVE her handwritten labels.
The Shower day arrives -- and Janet brings the beautifully packaged quilt with her -- Michele was busy making all those lovely flower bouquets that I shared on Instagram - just beautiful!
Here are the brides reading the label -- Alexis was so choked up that Laura read it for her.
The unveiling - the girls really loved it!  How about that scrappy binding ?  Isn't it sweet?
Oh Happy Bridal Shower Day!!
The Sisters Three - Love these Two!!
I need to mention my fantastic husband again - without him I think we would be doing overnight delivery of shower gifts from the registry -- love you, honey!
I sure hope you enjoyed the story of Hexie Love -- it was a great adventure!

Do you have questions ?
Would you like more of a tutorial to give a quilt like this a try?

Leave me your thoughts in the comments, I would be thrilled to get your feedback.

Also, be sure to visit me on
 Facebook at Redbird Quilt Co
and/or
Join our Facebook
 Free Motion Quilting Frenzy group
and/or
Follow Redbird Quilt Co on Instagram
I post all sorts of fun things there!!
Plus
I share quilting related
videos on my YouTube
*
I'm on Pinterest, Twitter
and I share other tutorials and patterns
on My Tutorials (above) and
on  The Moda Bake Shop
and on my Craftsy page...

Many blessings - thanks for stopping by!!
Karen

PS - I'm linking up with a few of my favorite Linky Parties including
a New-to-Me party #CreativeGoodness- at QuiltShopGal check it out!

31 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I love the way the old and the modern come together here. Wonderful quilting - thank you so much for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a very interesting quilt you made. Love that you were able to fix your trouble spot

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! Thanks for the tutorial and maybe I'll try something similar someday but I'll probably use larger hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow just a ton of work indeed-but I love the results! beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing your tutorial and how you fixed your trouble spot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful quilt. I love everything you did, the colors, layout, quilting. Did you do anything different when you prepared the hexies? Will the edges of the hexies fray if the quilt needs to be washed since you didn't stitch the edges down? You may have answered that question already and I missed it. Thank you. Take care and God bless, Cory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Great question Cory!! We did cut the hexies much larger than normal, adding a 1/2 " plus to the seam allowance for preparation -- hoping that adding the extra would minimize exposure of the raw edge. Honestly, I'm not sure if the fray will find its way outside of the hexie or not. The only thing I could suggest, for a quilt that is going to be used and washed regularly, is that you make the seam allowance even larger and/or change the stitching path to stitch over the outside edge of the hexies (leaving the center of the hexie unquilted). Some have used the fabric bond glue, which is a permanent glue, to secure the hexie to the background fabric. We didn't. Only time will tell now. Thanks for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this lengthy and encouraging post, Karen. You give me confidence by walking us through your process, your successes, and your trials and tribulations. The quilt came out beautifully and will be truly cherished by the girls for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! The quilt is so gorgeous and I'm really sure it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing you and your sisters designing process for this lovely labour of love Karen.

    I've also been looking at different hexagon quilts and love the modern twist you took.

    I've also fallen in love with Aurifil threads for many years. Thanks so much for sharing your appliqué and quilting process. I adore your mix of traditional and modern machine quilting designs,

    I'm sure they will treasure this quilt forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is absolutely stunning.The impact is huge and actually brought me to tears. I would love to do something similar, do you mind if I take parts of your idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val - I wanted to write back to you but your email is showing as a no-reply blogger so I don't have an email address for you. You are absolutely welcome to use this idea and spin your own hexie love... It was a great adventure -- with every new adventure we learn and grow. Have fun with it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Simply Stunning! I have a few hundred hexagons sitting in a box that had no future until now. Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Debra. Your email address was not included in the message I rec'd from Blogger so I thought I would reply here - I hope you see this response. I'm thrilled that you can use those hexies and would LOVE to see what you create with them. It's a fun, fun process. Enjoy and thanks again.

      Delete
  12. Love the way you shared the trials and tribulations of the quilting. I am often demoralised when I look at a freshly basted quilt. How do you quilt that thing?? So it was good reading the process of your quilting journey. I guess the lesson I learnt is that you start somewhere, and do something, then ideas begin to form.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOve love the way it turned out! Thank you for sharing your process and all the great photos! xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful. Captures the love and warmth put into the making of such a piece of love. As an aside I would love a tutorial. (Am crazy about hexies).
    Congratulations to all, the makers and the receivers on their wedding xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing quit, I have never seen one like this before such a lot of love and hard work has gone into its creation they girls must be thrilled with it

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great process post, Karen! Thank you for sharing how your masterpiece came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt, and nice journey!
    Thanks for your visit at my place

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful quilt!! I am really partial to hexie's!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt instantly made me think of an English Cottage Garden on a summer day! So pretty! Loved reading about your adventures in piecing and quilting...great tips, and a wonderful story! Congratulations on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow it's a lovely quilt. And you are quite the story teller. I was getting very upset right along with you and then later on I had a nice laugh at you blue ghost husband :)

    I don't baste my hexies with thread either. I use the starch and iron over freezer paper then applique ...

    So much work but it's absolutely gorgeous and you ladies sure got the jewel tone request down right. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow it's a lovely quilt. And you are quite the story teller. I was getting very upset right along with you and then later on I had a nice laugh at you blue ghost husband :)

    I don't baste my hexies with thread either. I use the starch and iron over freezer paper then applique ...

    So much work but it's absolutely gorgeous and you ladies sure got the jewel tone request down right. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness....What an amazing labor of LOVE! Beautiful and I am sure a cherished gift to the brides from their Aunties. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful, beautiful quilt Karen and I love all of the different quilting on it! It sure sounds like you have a great time with your sisters and what a perfect shower gift!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! What a great job and a labor of love. I love all the different quilting! L

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really interesting post Karen and wow what a masterpiece and wow what a story! The quilt is beautiful and I'm sure the girls will love it for ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Karen. I have just discovered this blog entry today... Once again, you are simply stunning with this quilt. And the story is fantastic - the time you put in to your blog with the story re the birth of this quilt is just remarkable. I just love this quilt but don't know when I will get to make one. I am still 'learning' to quilt with Linda's rulers, that you graciously helped me with earlier in the year. I envy your energy and your passion to get so much done. Best regards, Glenice in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Get daily suggestions and methods for making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME totally FREE.
    JOIN TODAY

    ReplyDelete